Thursday, February 3, 2011

Misunderstatement

In a room filled with trolls and children
You shone brightly above the rest
Like a half dead flashlight flickering in a landfill
I clung to you as the refuse crushed in around us
Cherished your warmth as nights grew long
The graze of your finger on my cheek seemed to brush my very soul
You seemed to understand me like no other
But then you began to speak in tongues
Words so familiar, but never from your mouth
You took tiny knives and slowly cut
All the places no one else had ever touched
And took it back for yourself
Leaving holes in me
Memories of what you had once claimed
Did it mean anything to you?
Was I not good enough?
You will never hurt me again
And I will never share myself again
Is what I repeat, month after month
As years turn to old age

---

Why, when standing in a landfill, did you never think to look up at
the stars that surround you?

No comments:

Post a Comment