Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A friend left behind

We used to play together all day.
I'd sit with you, not wondering anything at all.
The future had no use to us.
All that mattered were blue skies and gentle summer breezes.
We would imagine ourselves into each others worlds.
Winters would keep us apart, but the summer,
That was our time.
After a long day we would collapse in the shade of the setting sun,
And think only of the day passed,
And stories for the day to come.

But then I grew up, and you grew tall.
I hurt you.

Never then, did I think of what I had done.
The future had no use to us.
All that mattered were car rides and social status.

I grew away, and you grew tall.
I left you.

And only now, grown and wizened by experience and travel,
Do I see the pain on your face.
Of what we once had.
The scar I left upon your chest.
You have grown strong in my absence,
Beautiful.

So again I sit down with you.
Under blue skies and gentle summer breezes.
And wonder what the future might hold in store for us both.
I pray, someday, we might be together again.
Like children, and live with the purest happiness,
Untouched by the taint of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment