Friday, February 11, 2011

Micro Uzis Akimbo

They move behind pillars, the fog gently rising in the midnight starlight.
Sirens sound off in the distance, but they will not arrive in time.
I draw both pistols out, silently weighing them in my hands.
Flexing my fingers around their grip, they are like two old friends that have been away for far too long.
I hear them shuffling off in the distance. The familiar click as they ready for me.
There is no one coming to save me.

I hear the first step. A slap of cold rubber on hard concrete.
I spin out from behind the dumpster I had so recently called home, pulling my hands up to eye level.
The night is cut and the seal is broken.
Gunfire rings out in the alleyway, the tiny pieces of lead fly to my left and right.
I respond in kind, running and screaming towards them.

I am a possessed demon.
From the deepest and dustiest corners of my mind, something has been brewing.
An anger, ancient and primal. An anger from my ancestors.
The anger they must have felt as the wilds killed their kin, with no explanation.
An anger with no language to express it in, other than archaic shrieks and bursts of violence.
That anger, has slowly matured inside of me. Has come to fruition today.
It escapes the cobwebs of imagination, and embodies itself.
It is the strength that drives me forward.
It is the air that screams bloody murder from my lungs.
It is the synapses that twitch my fingers across the hair triggers.
It is the flashes of light as guns fire.
It is the bullet that stops, dead, in those that cross my path.

They are taken aback. Who is this devil?
Where is the man, who, moments ago, cowered in this dank place.
They hide again. They carefully weigh their options.

Concrete bursts like raindrops around them. This is not what they had expected.

Finally, silence again. The only noise is the ringing in their ears. They look to each other, with the same question in their eyes.
'Should we go after him?'

They agree unanimously. This is simply an animal. We must not bow down to such creatures.
They both emerge from their corners, a new wave of confidence filling their hearts.

They are cut down within seconds.

I stop to look at their bloodied corpses. The flashing lights have finally arrived. I wonder why I cannot hear their sirens, when I realize it is because I haven't stopped screaming. Both guns have fallen from me, hands trembling, and still I cannot stop screaming.

My eyes are wild, rolling uncontrollably in their sockets. My body moves without my command. Why am I doing this? I look each officer in the eye, screaming in no language, but still they understand.

They draw their guns.

My inner being screams out to stop. I didn't mean to do this! This is not my fault! I will not harm you.

But my legs, and my talons, have other ideas. Something snaps, and I bolt out at them. Snarling and drooling like a rabid dog.

They put me down just as easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment