Tuesday, March 15, 2011

violence of rain on the dashboard

We left the house maybe thirty minutes ago. The sun had been peeking through gaps in the clouds, it had seemed okay. It definitely hadn't seemed like rain was on the way. Although if we had checked far enough west, we would've seen the black clouds heavy with rain. If we had opened a window of the car, felt the gusting wind bringing it closer.

I bring out the last of the hamburger buns from my trunk out to the gazebo, the barbeque already started and starting to smoulder. Children are off in the distance, playing in the park.

I feel a drop of water hit my arm. I whip around angrily, eyes rolling, looking for the brat who had spat at me. Another drop lands in my hair. Instantly chilling me. I shudder once. Looking up, I see that the sun has left. Dark clouds cover the sky for miles in all directions.

Couples on blankets, just moments ago basking in the sun, frantically pack their things and run for the gazebo. The children shriek even louder: the rain for them is simply another game.

I hear you laughing. I turn to look at you, and see that you are barreling towards me.

'Come on! The gazebo stinks like wet dog,' whilst taking me by the arm and running. We head for my car, slamming the doors shut just as the heavens open up, and let a torrent out onto the park and people around us.

The rain falls heavily. So heavily that the area around us looks not like air, but like rapidly moving, dirty water at the bottom of a lake. Slowly people in the distance are blotted out by rain as it falls heavier and heavier.

The noise of it buffeting the thin roof of my car is deafening. I turn to look at you, only to realize you had been talking all this time. I mime a look of absolute disinterest, eyes unfocused, mouth slightly ajar, strand of drool hanging from my lip. You playfully slap me on the arm. I see you laugh, but the sound doesn't reach my ears. I feel robbed.

We both turn to face out the front of the car. There is nothing to watch but falling water. There is nothing to hear but the roar of the sky's imitation of an ocean. The faint smell of mint and evergreen hung in the air of my car: my air freshener was about to expire. Even my thoughts seemed to rattle around in my brain, unable to find a foothold, as if my brain too was slicked by rain.

I feel your hand brush mine. I look away, sure it was an accident. I try to push it from my mind - but no, there it is again. Your fingers search for my palm, snake between my fingers, and entwine themselves into mine. My heart beats just a little faster, but I still look away.

The rain has picked up in volume. The gods in the sky must be especially angry. But through the rain, the sky seems to brighten just a bit. First at only a corner of the field, then slowly the entire sky brightens just a bit. A searchlight through the rain, searching for someone. Searching for me?

The roar on the ceiling has let up slightly. People in the distance come back into focus. The rain is slowing down.

I can hear a voice. I cannot make out the words just yet, but the voice I can hear. I turn to you, and realize you had still been speaking all this time. Your eyes seem to glisten just a little more. Had you been crying? Are you about to cry?

The rain finally turns to a light drizzle.

"I... that was hard for me to get out. I've never told anyone that before. I'm glad we had this chance, I'm glad you were the one to hear it." You closes your eyes, a single tear rolling down your cheek. You draw closer, and rest your head on my shoulder.

I squeeze your hand a little tighter. I am unsure if I should say anything.

'Your secret is still yours, it is between you and the rain'

No comments:

Post a Comment