Monday, March 14, 2011

Touch of Senility

I had a feeling once, we could tell each other everything
In fact, I told you all I could bear to unload
Without feeling like I was burdening you
We would shout greetings with a look
Have whole conversations with the brush of an arm


Engines hum as cars pass by on the roads behind your house
Your voice rises and breaks
The crickets chirp from their hiding places
You start to taper off, sleep beginning to take hold
So I start to whisper
Talking about nothing, but my inflection pouring as much love as I can over you as you try to nap
Wanting you to sleep, but also to stay here with me
Birds slowly wake, start to call out
'Sun! It is time to come out and play!'


Just as the sun breaks through your window sill
You slip to sleep
And I am left alone with my thoughts

No comments:

Post a Comment