Friday, March 11, 2011

Greater Pastures

Green fields whisk by
The speakers gently serenade me
The road seems to stretch on forever
Up one hill, down a valley, up another
Ad infinitum
As I drive up one hill I can see places far off
It is raining over there
There is a parish over here
A few cars pass me by
Every once in awhile I pass through a town
Like a drifter, I don't stay long, I don't make eye contact
I pick my way through the roads and head on my way
Fields turn to forests
Forests turn to snow covered pine
A low fence separates my car from certain destruction
A fog descends onto the road
Between white road and white sky, I can't see more than a couple feet ahead
I continue on at a snail's pace
Thankful for this excuse to live here
A snowglobe, lost in the world, cut off from everything
The snoring in the backseat brings me back to the present
And I look past the snow and fog
Over there, a dim light shines in a small house in the night in the distance
I know you are there
Earnestly waiting for our arrival
If only you were here with me
With us
If only we had no destination
We could live here forever
In the silence and music
Keep bending away from civilization
And see where these roads come to an end

No comments:

Post a Comment