Friday, March 11, 2011

Poppies of Morpheus

3:33 am
I am fast asleep, I must get up early
You slip quietly into the room, raise a corner of the sheets
Slinking beneath my arm, you snuggle close
Even in deep sleep, I can feel your presence
My dreams begin to take shape
Bits of cobweb and fog coalesce into images
The inside of my eyelids are the screen

You are there, walking beside me in fields of purple and gold
Wearing a jacket and dress of roses and strawberries
Your laugh sounds like the clinking of glass at a wedding
I reach out for you, but you fall through the flowers and I chase after

Buildings loom overhead
Stark grey stands contrast to the bright yellow sky
Heat waves emanate from the concrete
You, in green fatigues and matching black vest, run around a corner
I am confused, but that is quickly shattered by chattering gunfire
I chase after you

In black night, we skate on ice as spirits swim below
Now a white evening gown covers you
An ethereal glow surrounds it, or perhaps it is simply you
I can feel the biting cold banished as I draw closer to you
You smile and blush as I take your hand
I draw you closer, and we waltz across the endless ice
I can feel your breath on my neck
I cannot hear your voice, but I know you are whispering
'Time to get up'

I wake, look over, and smile
Through waking day and blissful night, you are always by my side

No comments:

Post a Comment