Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Penelope

In a shimmer of tassels and fanfare she seemed to descend
His own personal guardian goddess, sent to watch over him
Hair of saffron and faint cinnamon whenever she drifted close enough
He was stricken
This was the one he would be with
'No, trials you must suffer, for my heart is too terrible and wonderful for you'
And so he agreed, leaving her on a quiet spring morning
She wept the following night, and every night after
He was not strong enough for her love, but he had been perfect nonetheless
She was left only with his parting words
"My love, I may never return. My heart is in pieces at the thought of
never gazing upon your face again, to never feel your soft touch warm
my cold soul. But fear not. Up there, every night, us the moon. She is
my gift to you. Know that every night, no matter where I am, I will be
with you and the moon. We may be separated, by land and sea, forest
and fire, even by life and death. But know, for each night the moon
rises, my love for you will grow fonder, my resolve to return to you
deeper. Someday I will return victorious, as the man deserving of your
love"

No comments:

Post a Comment