Friday, April 8, 2011

Escalator to nowhere

You climb the stairs, 
not knowing where they lead, 
not knowing what's at the top. 

You pass by windows,
people sit 'round tables
words silenced by glass. 

You grip the railing,
feeling the roughness of weather,
the bends of time warped into it. 

You test each step,
the metal structure swaying just slightly,
croaking with discomfort. 

You gaze back down below,
pedestrians hurry past below,
unaware of your ascent. 

You look up,
making sure the staircase still exists three steps from now,
and you see me. 

You meet my gaze,
feeling the blues of my eyes envelop you,
trying to understand you. 

You drown in my stare,
your cheeks sag slightly,
eyebrows raise in confusion. 

"Why are you climbing these stairs?"
"Because they go up"
"But they don't go anywhere, I was just up there"

You stop climbing,
thinking about why you had done this,
unsure how to continue. 

You turn,
as I come to a stop beside you,
smiling assuringly to you. 

We descend the steps,
chatting quietly about each other,
over the groaning steel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment