Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Roald Dahl was the champion of the world, I was nobody

You know, I'm not frightened. It's just that I will miss you all so much. 
    ~ Roald Dahl to his daughter Ophelia on his deathbed


I don't know what I want my last words to be
I've thought about it sometimes
Trying to think what I might say when I have one last opportunity to say anything ever again
I would want it to be important
No, not important
I would want it to be reflective though
I would want to distil the essence of a lifetime, my lifetime, into a single thought or expression
A sentence that starts with the innocence of my youth, and goes on to express the pain and torment and joy and wonder of a lifetime
And ends with a calm acceptance
A sentence that conveys the love I have for those who have had a profound effect on me
And even for those who hurt and damaged me
For they too have helped mould who I am.

I just pray, more than anything else, my last words aren't 'Ow, fuck'.
And yet, those two words would describe my life more than anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment