Saturday, October 26, 2013

Drinking Water


 The gasp of fresh air after a long overdue tall glass of water on a hot dry day. The last bit of crust on the last hot dog of 23 others eaten after a long night of drinking. The lean you make, arching your back backwards after having run a long race and the burning in your calves start to subside. The feeling of completeness after you turn off the computer monitor at the end of finishing that problem assignment.

Some day I'm going to die. I relish in that thought sometimes. Not the dying. But the afterwards. The simplicity that comes with it. The finality. Be it heaven, hell, reincarnation. Nothing. My remains burned and my ashes tossed into the evening breeze.

The long exhale that has been my life will reach it's conclusion, the "..." finally drawn to a close. The great questions finally answered. There is no reason to think there will be more questions unanswered, more stresses or confusions of the future. The future will blend with the present and past, for one long uninterrupted now, a now of no consequence. Time will be a line that I stand on the side of, no longer lassoed by it's tight grip on reality.

But then I finish the glass, and I gasp that sigh of relief.
And think that maybe it's not all so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment