Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Missing Bullets

The concrete explodes around me
As bullets dot the cobblestone road beside me
I hide under the archway, praying that they will pass me by
You are lying in a pool of your own blood in the middle of the ways
I can't make out where the bullet has entered your chest, the stream of tears on my face makes it too blurry to see
I cannot make it out to you
I want to come to you, to save you
But my body screams out to stay put, to think about itself
But my heart is leaping up and out of my throat, trying to get to you
Still the bullets seem to just miss you around the street
Dozens go running past us, shrieking and falling
Nobody seems to pay attention to me, or to you
Finally, my muscles loosen
I cry out in surprise as my legs carry me to you
I slide to a stop on my knees by your side
I look at you up and down
You're crying too, but you are smiling
You are whispering something, and smiling
I don't understand what you are saying
You need to be louder
I hold my head to your ear
And I hear six beautiful words
Whispered softly, assuredly, into my ear
I begin to smile too
Just as the rain again picks up
Molten lead covers us both as I embrace you
They trace lines across and through me, to you
My blood washes into yours
But it doesn't matter
We aren't there anymore
We are long gone

No comments:

Post a Comment