Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Semantic satiation


You know how sometimes you can repeat a word over and over
It sometimes loses meaning
And just becomes a jumble of scrambled sounds
Or the letters don't seem to make up the word they spell
It happens to me a lot
The word 'manslaughter' sometimes repeats so often in my head
I'll see it on a page and repeat it over and over in my head
Manslaughter manslaughter MANslaughter manSLAUGHTER Man's Laughter
Until it's just shapes
And I pick apart the individual letters and wonder where they all came from
The same thing happens with the word "justice"
I read the word "justice" over and over until it's two different words
I picture the guy from the Miller time commercials pointing at you out of the screen
and saying "It's Just Ice!" and winking
That's what I pictured as he read off the list of offences
The judge wearing a giant afro wig
And carrying a tray with cold beers on it
And proclaiming 'Just Ice has been served!'

No comments:

Post a Comment