Sunday, December 4, 2011

Why I write poetry

Come on, you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?
     ~Daniel Daly

I don't want my legacy to be an empire.
I don't want it to be a story of a man who rose above the odds to do great things or wondrous things or amazing things.
I don't want my blood and seed to wash across the earth.
I don't want my point of view and values and ideals and ideas to live on without me.
I don't even want the remains of the molecules of my dust to go anywhere in particular.

I just want to leave behind these emotions, this feeling.
The intensity of joy when I saw her smile.
The swell of pride when I knew it was just for me.
The unending grief when she finally left me.
The unbreakable peace I know I will feel when I finally, eventually, meet her again in the next life.

I don't know how to leave any of that behind.
So I write these words in hope that somewhere hidden among them, those feelings can hide.
And come back out when I'm long gone.
And leap off the page, and onto your face, into your heart.

And then, then I will live forever.

2 comments:

  1. Awwww, now that's far too painful. Not sure the ends justify the means. I hope it works out a bit less dramatically - for you both, in this life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. in the next lifetime, i hope, i dream, as this one had a different story to tell. yet i know that we'll meet and souls recignise - this life, the next and one after. for we tell a story from the same book, you and i.

    ReplyDelete